Wednesday 26 February 2014

Miel de Bois Review


For all the hyperbole that surrounds Muscs Koublaï Khän, I’ve always considered Miel de Bois the true animalic beast in the Lutens stable.
Despite some minor tweaks to the formala, the perfume remains pleasingly pissy, thanks to a good dose of phenylacetic acid that’s instrumental in creating the honey (miel) smell.
Bridging the gap to the woody-amber base is an impressive amount of beta ionone, which adds a dry, orris-like facet with slight floralcy.

Nose: Christopher Sheldrake
House: Serge Lutens
Release date: 2005
Notes (per Fragrantica): Honey, guiac wood, oak, wax, iris, animal notes, hawthorn.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for another great review, Mr. L! ;) This has become one of my top favorites from Serge, although I hated the original initially. However, I have to say this is a strictly splash only fragrance for me. The older has a more prominent 'honey of the woods (fir, pines etc.)' smell, while the newer is slightly drier and woodier to my nose. The difference is not paramount as a whole. I'll include a sample next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comments, Larimar.
    In addition to being drier and woodier, would you say the newer version is less urinous too ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I don't perceive it as 'urinous', rather 'animalic', warm, ripe. This vibe may be more prominent in th older initially, while I don't perceive much of a difference the farther into the drydown you get.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No pee for you ? Oh, I am sorry :)
    Thanks again for stopping by and sharing your thoughts, Larimar. - it's always enlightening.
    Keep rocking that Miel de Bois !

    ReplyDelete